Saturday, April 9, 2011

Gear

Some of the most consistent feedback I receive involves the tools that I use, so I thought I'd post some about them, and also be able to link people to the info so they can browse at their own convenience - or level of interest!

I recently bought a Canon 60D! It's proving to be a wonderful tool for video and photos. As far as Canon goes, it fits squarely between the T3i and 7D models. It takes photos at 18 MP, has 9 AF points, and can do video at 1080p. The APS-C CMOS sensor makes it possible to shoot in low-light situations and achieve pretty narrow depth of field. Oh yeah, it has a Vari-angle LCD screen.
canon self portrait

I also purchased Canon's EF 50mm f/1.8 II lens. This lens gets great image quality for the price! It comes in handy when things are just a little too dark, or I need to blur out a distracting background. Its build is all plastic, and it seems very fragile - like if I work out too much, my grip might break off the focus ring. But at the price, a replacement wouldn't be that bad.
EF 50mm f/1.8 II

I bought the camera with a kit lens: the EFS 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS. It's my only wide angle for now, and my only zoom. It does great outdoors, where there's no lack of light, so I use it anytime the 50mm prime won't cut it.
EFS 18-135mm

I've also been using a Canon Speedlite 420EX. The 60D's built-in pop up flash can trigger this guy wirelessly, and the off-camera flash looks far superior to the classic deer-in-headlights look of most built in flashes.
Speedlite 420EX

This post is growing long, so I'll have to save the other equipment for another time!

0 comments:

Post a Comment