Friday, April 15, 2011

Making a Billboard

I love tackling projects that require expanding into new territory, so I was glad when Foothills Community Church asked me to create content for a billboard campaign called "Could This Be Church." The desire was for it to catch attention, spark curiosity, and direct passers-by to a site (CouldThisBeChurch.com), which would be a landing page to invite people to FCC's services and website.

The team decided that the graphics should convey some of the best unique features of the church in a way that people could notice in the time it takes to drive by. Here's what I put together:
CTBC6 24x12
I had a big desire to show so many more pictures - kids enjoying church, teenagers greeting newcomers, small groups meeting, members doing service projects in the community... I could go on. But after sifting through tons of billboard images - good and bad - it became obvious that the best billboards are optimized for the GLANCE. So I kept it to three dominant elements and composed it for clarity and cohesion. Oh, and I adapted the style from a Conan O'Brien billboard I found online:
conan-billboard2-e1270837949817

Finally, different boards require different formats. You can see the last, massive one driving from Seneca to Clemson. I call it the "double-wide." er... double-tall? I don't know...
billboards

1 comments:

Allison said...

I didn't know you designed those! Great job!

Post a Comment